” Food is a language that everyone understands “
Sweetheart Cherry Pie
Author: Foodies Junktion
- 4 c. pitted sour cherries
- ½ c. maple syrup
- 3 tbsp. quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 c. cake flour
- ¼ c. butter or margarine, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg white
- To make the filling: In a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, combine the cherries, maple syrup, tapioca, and cinnamon. Let stand for 5 minutes. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- To make the crust: Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the flour in a medium bowl. Using 2 knives, cut in the butter or margarine until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in the egg white. Place on a lightly floured surface and knead for 30 seconds, or until smooth. Reserve ¼ cup of the dough.
- Place the remaining dough between sheets of waxed paper and roll into a 9" circle. Remove the top piece of waxed paper. Invert the dough onto an 8" pie plate. Remove the remaining piece of waxed paper and fit the dough into the pie plate. Fold under the excess pastry and crimp the edges. Prick the bottom of the dough and bake for 10 minutes.
- Roll the reserved dough between sheets of waxed paper to ⅛" thickness. Using a cookie cutter, cut out hearts or other decorative shapes. Pour the cherry filling into the pie crust and arrange the cut-outs on top.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F. Bake for 30 minutes.